How to Customize Your Floor Plan from a Raleigh Custom Home Builder:
There are many reasons home buyers customize their favorite floor plan, including:
- Adding or removing sq ft
- Moving a room
- Changing the dimensions of a room
- Adding or removing walls
Floor Plan Modification #1: Move the Laundry Room Upstairs
If most of your bedrooms are upstairs, you’ll want to consider also moving the laundry room upstairs.
In this red-line floor plan, the laundry room takes the place of the two story foyer ceiling, which some home buyers consider “wasted space” in a floor plan.
Floor Plan Modification #2: Add a Hallway Drop Zone
By moving the laundry room upstairs, you’re able to add a mudroom style drop zone off the garage. See the best sizes for a mudroom, here.
Floor Plan Modification #3: Turn a Two Story Great Room into a Bonus or Media Room
Adding a bonus room can be a great way to increase sq ft in homes with a two story great room, like this:
Raleigh Custom Home Builder Ideas:
No matter how much you love a floor plan, there is always SOMETHING that can move, change, be added, or be eliminated to meet your dream layout, features, and style.
See a few more ways to modify your favorite floor plan, to get the exact home you’re looking for:
- Want to add sq ft? See how to expand the laundry room size, add a second floor loft, and include a third floor
- Love the layout in a favorite floor plan, but the exterior just isn’t your style? See how to modify your home exterior, without changing the floor plan.
- Need a second master bedroom? Here’s how to add a second master suite to your existing floor plan.
- Looking for multigenerational living solutions? Get the Top 20 Multi-gen floor plan guide.